Monday, August 31, 2009

Don't get me started on omentum . . .

MIDTERM'S OVER!!!!! And there was much rejoicing throughout the land of Temple . . .

I think I did pretty well, too. Grades aren't out just yet (it takes awhile to grade 200 answer sheets by hand), but judging from the posted answer key, I was well within "passing."

To clarify-- there aren't A's, B's, C's, etc. Over 70% is passing. If you're in the higher part of your class, you could get a "high pass," or if you're really special, a "pass with honors." I'd be perfectly satisfied with a "pass" myself. And I'm pretty proud of myself, attacking the midterm like that.

I was in a strangely wonderful mood Friday morning, too. The night before I'd been studying to ska music (very upbeat), and I woke up with it still in my head. I didn't have to be at campus until noon, so I slept in an extra hour and did my make-up (which I hadn't bothered with in weeks). I baffled everyone at school by being so smiley. (I calmed down appropriately by the time we started the exam.) I honestly can't explain the mood; I just grooved on it.

So over the weekend, I caught up on sleep. Wow, did I need it. And wow, did I get it!! Now, if I can manage to get my schedule regular again, I'll be set. Also went to a first-year end-of-midterm party Friday night (I have the feeling we'll be having these every three weeks or so), and showed off my dancing skills with my fellow Owls. One of my labmates called me crazy. :) It was a great way to blow off some steam.

Not wasting any time, we cracked open the abdomen today. Monday morning is NOT the time for a four-hour lab. Funny-- the past three weeks we did the back, the upper limb, the lower limb, and the thorax. All that's left is the abdomen, pelvis, head and neck. But there's SO MUCH crammed in that small space-- it'll probably be a bit more challenging.

True to form, Big Bill was difficult. Far too much omentum, and abnormally large organs. His transverse colon was as big as my forearm! You'd think the size would make it easy to find these things, but with all that connective tissue . . .

In non-anatomical news, I see my first standardized patient this week -- Thursday, to be exact. It's not actually a patient, but an actor paid to simulate the doctor-patient experience. They videotape us taking a history, then we get to watch it and learn what we did well and not-so-well. Yes-- it's a bit terrifying. But I have a feeling it'll be fun too.

Plenty for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment